Sunday, May 30, 2010

Thankful

This Memorial Day, I won't be near my sailor. He is currently on patrol and will be for awhile. It's his job, and one I'm very proud of him for doing. Before we met, all I knew of the military came from growing up near Barksdale Air Force Base and a few National Guard posts. I had no real connection to the military, if that makes sense. Let alone an understand of everything that goes into the job of serving in the military.

In the years since high school and meeting my husband, I've known folks in every service. While all very different jobs, in the end, they are all as hard. All of them as tough. All of them as honorable. I've also heard, read and learned so many stories of heroics beyond the bounds of human comprehension. Men diving on a grenade to save their guys. Leaders doing anything they can to accomplish the mission while doing everything in their power to keep their crew safe. Make a sacrifice to protect their families and the other folks back home.

I'm a softy when it comes to military. Probably more so know due to understand the full range of emotions that you go through when your loved one is away. I cry when they show homecomings on the news, and my heart breaks when the show the caskets draped with the flag. Thankfully, I've never personally known someone lost. I hope it stays that way.

To all those that serve, have served, and hope to serve one day - Thank you. My heart is with you all on this Memorial Day. And as I mentioned in a previous blog, I love music and the way it conveys emotions. So here are a few patriotic songs that are near and dear to my heart.

Trace Adkin's Arlington



Toby Keith's Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue



This next video is for Toby Keith's American Soldier. I know that this probably best describes my husband's view of his time in the Navy and why he does it. I'm proud of him, and I hope he is doing well today.

No comments:

Post a Comment